Sunday, February 26, 2012

Jet-Setting Ryan (goodbye daddy, see u soon!)

We said goodbye to daddy (aka: Ryan) this morning, as he was the first of us to leave for our new home in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. It wasn't too hard for me because I knew we'd be reunited again in two weeks (and I have PLENTY to do still to keep me occupied so it will go by quickly), but it was hard to watch Ryan & Madison say goodbye to each other. He left with 3 large trunks, a carry-on suitcase, and his briefcase - it was quite the ordeal! It's a 13.5 hr flight from DFW to Narita, then another 8 hours to Kuala Lumpur. 

Ryan's "adventure" includes an overnight in Tokyo, and if you know him well you can probably guess he'll pull an all-nighter exploring the city and making the most of this layover. I expect a full report tomorrow of all the things he experienced in Tokyo and how much he loved it and wants us to go back for a longer visit (I know this already b/c he's rarely visited a place he isn't fascinated with!). 

My mom flew in yesterday to help with the transition (thank God!). Madison is a smart cookie..and she's starting to figure out something's up! She's been very loving and clingy with us the past few weeks, and whenever someone comes over to the house she says "don't leave mommy/daddy" - breaks my heart (it may sound like we leave her with babysitters a lot, but we don't). She just wants to be close to us and make sure at least one of us is around her. I have to admit I'm loving all of her extra loving... she's usually pretty independent and could care less if I'm around, haha. 

Ryan's tasks when he gets to KL are mainly to find us a place to live and buy a car. I've done a ton of online research so we've narrowed down the condo options and now he has to "inspect them" to ensure they're the REAL deal. I've been blessed enough to have found a few friends online who live in KL and have been gracious enough to patiently answer my twenty million questions (smile) about our new home, and help me try to figure things out before we get there. These friends either currently live in KL, or recently moved from there, and have young children also, so they have been more than willing to offer advise on how to successfully move a family overseas (and not lose my mind in the process). So I've given Ryan a list of things to explore based on their recommendations. His work permit hasn't come through yet, so even though he's there by his "start date" he can't actually go to work until the paperwork is approved (or he could be arrested, imagine that!).. which means he has a few extra "free" days to explore and get things in order.. this is a good thing! 

In the meantime, I'm gearing up for my trip overseas with Madison soon.. so glad mom is here to help! It's hard saying goodbye to our life/friends in Dallas, but I'm also very excited to start our new life in Malaysia! Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment