Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Traffic & Taxis & Mopeds, oh my

If I forget for a minute that I'm in Malaysia... I'll just grab a taxi, then I'm zapped back to reality.

There is traffic every hour of the day. Everyone tells me not to plan to go anywhere during "rush hour" but I'm still trying to determine IF there is actually a rush hour, or just constant congestion. Surprisingly, I've never seen a wreck, which seems like a miracle with all the crazy moped drivers weaving in & out of lanes. So that's at least a little reassuring.

There are no real addresses for anything. If I gave a taxi driver an address he would just stare at me with a blank look. All the locals say, "just give them a landmark", ugh. I don't think that helps that much either. I still have to know where I'm going and make sure they turn at the right point. So needless to say, I'm learning the city VERY fast. So, 'thank you' to all the terrible taxi drivers... I think? : )

2 comments:

  1. After flying to Shanghai for 14 hrs, we were so excited to finally get to experience the real China. The taxi trip from the airport to the hotel was of those profound life experiences. We were literally INCHES from other cars in six lanes of SERIOUSLY FAST traffic. What about right of way, yielding, speeding, road rage? No traffic laws? What are about almost taking down a group of bikers? Pedestrians? Really? Give me some red lights!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, that's so true. This is what I've realized... it's just PAVEMENT! Pretend there are no lines and you'll do fine : )

    ReplyDelete