Monday, April 16, 2012

A job for Tiffany, & a school for Madison

I joined an organization called "ibu," which was established by a group of women seventeen years ago, and is essentially a family resource group (they have a long mission statement - I won't bore you). It's membership base is nearly 90% expats, however in the past few years they've been more heavily involved in local charities / organizations / events, which has boosted it's local membership. It's a wonderful support group for a "first-timer" expat living in Malaysia, like myself. I joined at the urging of one of the moms I met at church, and I'm really glad I did. There are over 1,000 members, so it's a huge network of really talented women from all over the world. Some of my closest friends so far are from Pakistan, England, Australia, Japan, and Canada. Talk about a melting pot! 

I've been a member for just a a few short weeks now, but felt I could make an impact working with them... and it would be a nice break from the hospitality world for a year or so (wink.. for those of you who know what a hot mess that is!). So I applied, and found out today that I'm going to be heading up their online marketing, starting next week. Woohoo, I can't wait to get started! 

Some more good news is we were able to secure Madison's placement in a really nice Montessori school, located in our building - doesn't get much better than that! It's a brand new school (2011), and since our condos are new as well they've been receiving overwhelming interest in the school with new people moving in every week, but we were able to still get in. A few of the other kids we've had playdates with in our condos go there, so it's nice she'll already know a few kids before she starts. She's SO ready to get back into school; it's actually kind of heart-breaking to see her chase down every child she sees to make friends with them. I kind of know the feeling, so I don't blame her, ha! 

The upside is she has NO problems with social skills. Actually, I'm not sure if that will be a good or bad thing in school... I seem to remember getting in trouble for talking too much - yeah, I know, imagine that.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment