Thursday, October 11, 2012

Parent's visit: Singapore (in 24 hours!)

So on a whim... we decided to drive down to Singapore the day before leaving for Bali. My parents really wanted to see it, and I couldn't blame them - I'd want to see as much as possible too after traveling so far. So, we went.

The drive is normally 4-5 hours depending on traffic.. I did it in 3. I'm very proud, I think they were very scared (I have a led foot). We planned on just staying one night, and we planned on making the most of it! We checked in to our hotel then hit the town... and lucky us, we stumbled upon a Lion Dance competition on Orchard Street. It was very cool. Madison had a blast watching the "lions" dancing and the drummers beating out the tune. We stayed to watch a few of them perform, then continued along Orchard St and did some site-seeing/shopping, got Madison her favorite frozen yogurt, and just enjoyed the sites & sounds.

The next day it was a little cloudy but mom still wanted to do the Singapore Flyer, which is like a ferris wheel but you're in an enclosed pod.. just like the Eye of London. It takes a little over 30 minutes to go all the way around (it's very slow). Even though it was cloudy we still saw the majority of the city.. and it was spectacular! Another cool thing was they were setting up for the Formula1 race right below the Flyer, so we could see the whole track layout and twist & turns. The race is just a few days away so it will be cool to say we were just there.

After the Flyer we were in search of the best lunch spot in Singapore.. and what better place than the legendary Raffles Hotel? It was BEYOND delicious! I think Madison ate her weight in prawns, lol! Dad enjoyed the lamb chops, I loved the salad bar and baked salmon, and I think mom just loved peeling all the huge prawns for Madison.. oh and the heavenly bread pudding.

The funny thing is, our little adventures around SEA preceded William & Kate's royal visit by one day - so the day we left Singapore they arrived, and the day we left KL for Bali, they arrived. I was actually glad we weren't in the same place at the same time... mobs of people are not handled well here so I was glad to be farrrrr away. It was kinda cool though to read about it all a few days later.

Back from Singapore.. now to repack and off to BALI - ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment