Thursday, October 11, 2012

Another ER visit / Preparing for Halloween

Madison seemed "a little off" Tuesday night - tired, cranky, etc.., but I just thought she was tired from school. She woke up Wednesday morning and was burning up, so I gave her some fever medicine and she went back to sleep until 2pm! That should've tipped me off that something was wrong. I continued to give her tylenol and fluids, but by Thursday morning her fever was over 104 degrees, and she started to become unresponsive. So off to the ER we went!

It turns out she has a viral infection, with 5 swollen lymph nodes, a really red & swollen throat, and has lost her voice. It breaks my heart to see her this way. I took her to Prince Court (PCMC), which is the newest hospital here, and where we took her in April when she was really sick. They do a good job making the kids comfortable, seeing patients quickly, and taking the time to answer all my questions. And it's so cheap! $30 for the visit, tests, and all (5!) medications she needed.

As soon as Madison heard the doctor say she could have ice cream, popsicle, or anything cold to keep the swelling in her throat down.. they were fast friends. She is fast asleep now, after a "dinner" of a few bites of chicken soup just so she could eat her popsicle!

So while Mads is sleeping I'm working on Halloween preparations. I'm helping throw two parties on Saturday 10/27, and it's becoming quite the task to find Halloween decorations and costumes. It's funny how many people have enlisted me to "help" with their parties.. as in, tell them how to do it "properly".. and essentially do it for them. I guess it's because I'm from the US. I never realized how BIG we blow this holiday up until moving here.. everyone wants to know how we celebrate in the US, and they are mesmerized when I tell them about our annual party, kids trick-or-treating, pumpkin patches (what's that? ha!).  On the flip side, there are exactly 3 stores here that have roughly 1 kiosk of candy, and 1 cart of decorations that look ten years old. And the prices! whoa!

Pumpkins are really hard to find too, and if you CAN find some they are just mini sugar pumpkins (which are green), and expensive, so it's just not the same. In this humidity you wouldn't buy one anyway because it would just be rotten the next day. Sooo... I think this year we'll be making our own treats & decor. It's a good thing I have crafty family members to reach out to (ah hem, Janna?).

So far I've lined up the following:  decorate your own pumpkin cookies, making carmel popcorn balls, ghost bowling, balloon pumpkin wall, homemade sparkly orange playdough, mummy-wrapping contest (wrap each other in TP). That may be it but I'm always looking for new, fun ideas for kids! Unfortunately, no adult party this year. I know Ryan is a little bummed, as we've thrown a Halloween party for the last 5 years, and they're SO much fun.. but since Mads & I are leaving for the US a few days later we're skipping it (and it's just not the same anyway).

If you've read my Facebook page lately you'd know Madison wants to be Jake, from the cartoon "Jake and the Neverland Pirates", and named Ryan as Captain Hook, and me as Hook's dumpy friend Smee (gee, thanks). So I've been working on trying to find costumes for us... there's no Target or pop-up Halloween store on the side of the highway to run to like in Dallas. I was beginning to sweat a few days ago as I realized we're getting closer & closer and I make actually have to MAKE them - I am def NOT Martha Stewart! Fortunately, a friend saw my plea for pirate costumes online and is lending me her child's - whew! It's really cute, and I really lucked out b/c he has 3 pirate hats, so Mads has a nice selection :)

Ryan still wants to be Spider-Mummy (inside joke from last year's party), and actually thinks the costume made it to KL somehow.. really? WHO did the packing again? That thing is dead & buried!

The one thing I am starting to miss is the fall weather. I put some mulling spices on the stove this week, and decorated the house a little with fall things. Maybe trying to trick my brain into thinking it's cool outside? It's actually getting very humid now b/c rainy season is coming.. so who am I kidding?! I'm anxious to get home to put on my boots and sweaters, and sit by the fire with some hot chocolate. But I'm sure after 8 weeks of cold weather I'll be glad to get back and jump into our nice big pool again and go to the beach, so I guess I'm getting the best of both worlds this holiday season!

3 1/2 more weeks until we're home - can't wait to see everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment